We began classes this morning. It has been a long time since I’ve been in school. Our first class was a language class. Our teacher was on hyper-drive and the rest of us were still in the slow lane. Finally, by the end of class, we began to catch up.
I don’t see how our American brothers and sisters do it. Learning a new culture and language are so difficult. It just goes to show the faithfulness of the Father. Whatever He calls us to, He is faithful to equip us - even if it means learning a foreign, ancient language.
Our lunch has also changed. Being students, we now eat in the student canteen. This morning we had to go shopping for a bowl and our eating utensils. Once purchased we got in line to purchase our meal tickets then made our way to the canteen.
There are five different student canteens. One is designated for Muslim students because they serve no pork there. Interesting. The canteen food line begins with rice then there are about 40 selections of foods to go on your rice bowl. You have various meats, veggies, seafood and some other things that I’m not sure what they were. I chose the spicy cabbage on my rice.
Let me go back to the Muslim canteen for a moment. One of the people groups here is Muslim. From the clock tower building, you can see a Buddhist temple. I asked a student were there many religions. She said many to represent the various cultures here. There are many religions in this country! Only one is persecuted – those of us who follow Jesus.
A young brother here on campus named S share with me that there are about 40 believers here on this 10,000 student campus. As a believer, he forfeits his chance at the “good life.” He loses opportunities for good jobs, housing and even relationships with others. Believers are separated out from others.
Isn’t that how the Word says that we are to be? We are not to conform to the patterns of this world but be transformed by the renewing of our mind. The world is to see the difference.
Sad but that’s not happening. It is getting more and more difficult to distinguish a Christian from anyone else. We have not separated ourselves. Instead, we have become a part of that which God has called us to change.
I need to follow my brothers and sisters here. I need to daily live my life in such a way that others can tell that I’m different. I need to live my life in such a way that others see Jesus in me. What about you?